Do you struggle to find something healthy to fill lunchboxes or the in-between meals snacks?
Do you have trouble getting a bowl of cereal and yogurt into anyone at breakfast time?
Are you tired of buying expensive energy balls and bars that wrapped in plastic and stuck together with sugar masquerading as something healthy?
We hear you, and we've come up with a simple recipe that you will love.
Five things we love about these bars:
- contain live probiotics
- easy to digest and high in fibre
- free from refined sugar and dairy
- normal ingredients and no baking or rolling
- taste really good and easy to adapt
MAKES: 24 bars when pressed into a 31cm baking tray.
- 3 cups wholegrain oats
- 1/2 cup of homemade coconut yogurt
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup dates
- Mix the oats and coconut yogurt and set aside
- Soak dates in boiling water to soften (Medjool are a bit pricey)
- Grate the apple and carrot
- Chop the almonds if they're whole
- Drain and roughly chop the dates
- In a food processor, blend the dates, carrot, and apple until pureed.
- gradually add the oat and coconut mixture and mix until combined
- remove to the bowl and stir through the almonds
- press it into a tray and refrigerate for a few hours uncovered
- slice into 24 bars and store in a container in the fridge
- eat within seven days or freeze
These are soft and moist and remind me of bircher muesli with the apple and the soaked oats. You could add all sorts of swaps to this recipe, including a little chocolate on the top! And if you find you need a touch more sweetness, we recommend adding a couple of tablespoons of honey to the mix.